[FoRK] Obama: communitarian, redistributionist, confused? (from NYT)

Tom Higgins tomhiggins at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 16:22:03 PDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 2:24 PM, J. Andrew Rogers

> Optimism does not contribute to the GDP without the working fluid of
> capital.
> Where will the optimism come from in business in the absence of real
> economic opportunity?  This is revolutionary thinking, the idea that
> optimism trumps basic economics.  That experiment has a poor track record.

I think maybe we are talking about two different things here.

I have been running under the assumption (yes I know) that the wealthy
power holders in the systems are maximizing their holdings so that
their holdings continue to give them the edge in maximal value.

I do not see the system, or systems, in real terms, of doing the most
good for the most...or that the bottom line for any nation
state/corporate entity is anything other than maximizing value.

Yes, in places and at times that can mean working out better living
conditions for the parts that make up your portfolios of
holdings...better wages make them eat better thus they are less prone
to ask for more (shudders demand or even riot for more)/ keep the
creature comforts scaling up so they are happier (happy being the
value of contentment over the cost of contentment minus the vlaue of
seeking change) and thus less likely to do that demanding thing, look
bad for you on the cover of Time, or such as.

Now before my back is covered with dissenting posts,  lets go back ot
the idea that a person is not a people, that people are masses which
by and large behave and are very different in goals from a person.

Examples abound...pick any three.

> J. Andrew Rogers

Emma Goldman  - "If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal."

Nation States/Systems/People/what have you act towards bettering its
lot, its value, its position.

And not just the Number One position, there is only one of that and
many of the Non Number One spots...and each of these as well will
factor into behaviors, reactions, goals etc.

And thus   Optimism is a device by which you can Optimize value..being
that there is value, perception of value and the ways those two things
can entangle.

Which is why I think it baffles individuals trying to treat the
optimism of a system as if it were about individuals.

-tom(turtles...all the way down)higgins