[FoRK] Obama: communitarian, redistributionist, confused? (from NYT)

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Mon Aug 25 17:10:18 PDT 2008

On Aug 25, 2008, at 3:12 PM, Lucas Gonze wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 12:44 PM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:
>>> You're smoking crack, Lucas.
>>
>> Seriously, dude.  Where in the WORLD would you get this idea?  Even
>> his own
>> party bills him as left of left-center and a true believer, the
>> flag-bearer
>> of newly-resurgent 60s idealism --- in contrast to Clinton.  Obama's
>> carefully-constructed image is as the most starry-eyed True
>> Believer to come
>> along in generations.  His *whole schtick* is the rejection of
>> realpolitik
>> in favor of Shiny Happyism.
>>
>> I don't think there's ANYBODY out there seriously trying to sell
>> this claim.
>> Surely you aren't, either.
>
> The narrative of a wild eyed radical is being sold on the right to
> stir up the base,

Bzzzt, I'm not the base, and I'm basing my analysis on his voting
record and his own statements and positions on e.g. economics, on the
appropriate role of government, and so on.  Try again.  Too easy.

> Case in point about how silly it is, Obama isn't a
> boomer candidate and has nothing to do with the 60s.

That's just the point;  the boomers got slapped in the face w/ realism
and the result was e.g. the Clintons.  Barack is untainted by such
harsh reality (and therefore just as scary as ideologue Bush.)

jb