[FoRK] Obama: communitarian, redistributionist, confused? (from NYT)

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Mon Aug 25 17:15:42 PDT 2008

On Aug 25, 2008, at 3:48 PM, Stephen D. Williams wrote:

> Jeff Bone wrote:

>>> Oh lighten up.  Don't worry, be happy.
>>
>> FFSR.
> ?  I vote for the 3rd definition:
> FFSR 	Factory Fitted Sun Roof
> FFSR 	Fast Forward Signal Regeneration
> FFSR 	Fire-fighters Union of the Slovak Republic
> FFSR 	Flip Front Stereo-Radio (automotive classifieds

"For fuck's sake, really."

Consider it a default... ;-)

>> That's how I need to start all of these.
>>
>> You Shiny Happy Change people are going to install a guy who's
>> going to wreck the rest of your professional lives on top of the
>> disaster of the last 8 years, just in a different direction.  I
>> hope you enjoy what you get.
> As a market trader, I would think that you would grok that much of
> the value of things and the will to move in a positive direction has
> to do with attitude, inspiration, and, while not least, not the only
> thing either: predicting the future.  The market is one place where
> optimism really works.  Maybe not for every irrationally exuberant
> individual investor, but for the market and society as a whole, it
> does.  How do you quantify the missed opportunities caused by the
> attention and massive amount of money mostly wasted by bumbling
> leadership in the last 8 years?

Actually, while the opportunity cost is unquantifiable except in e.g.
Bostrom terms, for the real cost it's not that difficult.  Basket-of-
goods, exchange rates, total market caps of selected groups of stocks
in various sectors, etc.

But the market doesn't run on sunshine and fairy dust --- it runs on
investment, and investors don't like redistributionism and don't like
New Deal rhetoric.  But I grow weary of beating this drum;  in all
likelihood you'll see for yourself.

> How are our professional lives going to be threatened by either
> candidate?

It's time to be worried about more than just your professional life.
We're facing some pretty tough times.  Sock it away while you can and
give some thought to how you're going to eat;  the likelihood of
serious problems has shifted me from mildly pessimistic to concerned
as a matter of course over the summer.

jb