[FoRK] Obama: communitarian, redistributionist, confused? (from NYT)

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Mon Aug 25 17:24:56 PDT 2008

On Aug 25, 2008, at 5:29 PM, Tom Higgins wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 1:04 PM, geege schuman <geege4 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Give us a little credit, Jeff.  We're all way too cynical to buy
>> into an
>> icon.  For that, we can thank Bush.

Apparently not cynical enough.

> For that I can thank Nixon V McGovern. That was the first election I
> followed in any real sense of the term. That the nation landslided for
> Nixon...oi.
>
> Jeff's whole shebang this election

...Is being widely misrepresented by people who apparently fail to
"get" that I dislike McCain just as much as they do, and Bush and the
GOP of the day *even more* than they do!  I mean come on, people;
nobody on this list has been a more outspoken critic of Bush, the
neocons, the right wing, and the GOP than I have over the last 8
years.  Give me some credit.

> seems to be all about his horse
> loosing and thus everyone is a l0zer...the most mature series of
> thoughts from Jeff can not be found in the rants around this meme.
> Sorry bro, as much of a "two party idiots" basher as I am I have to
> say your platform is shakey at best and missing more planks than not.

Have no platform, really.  The earlier bit wasn't intended as a real
blueprint, more like an exercise in fantasy realpolitic.

Don't have a horse in this race, Tom.  Have made that point clear, I
hope.

The way I see it, we've got a choice between a protracted 12-16
quarter recession and a true, 10+ year Depression --- at a time when
China and India are going to be out-competing us on lots of
dimensions.  Serious and probably never recoverable losses of average
quality of life for all Americans.  That's not even the worst-case
scenario;  it's just the middle of the road scenario.

A resurgent New Deal and leftism will ensure the latter.  McCain won't
do anything to forestall the former, and might even make it worse ---
but he probably doesn't push us past the tipping point to the latter
*just yet.*

jb