[FoRK] Obama: communitarian, redistributionist, confused? (from NYT)

Tom Higgins tomhiggins at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 18:31:10 PDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 5:24 PM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:
> The way I see it, we've got a choice between a protracted 12-16 quarter
> recession and a true, 10+ year Depression --- at a time when China and India
> are going to be out-competing us on lots of dimensions.  Serious and
> probably never recoverable losses of average quality of life for all
> Americans.  That's not even the worst-case scenario;  it's just the middle
> of the road scenario.

So you are pissed that historic trends prevail and the power base is
moving east to west (fellow traveler)?

What you call middle of the road I am taking to be Seldonism
assured...no use crying over that split milk.

What you are right in pointing out (and by right I am not meaning
ideologically ) is over the past 8 years we have squandered
innovations (tech, medical, monetary and even ideological) that could
have set us up for a few more decades atop the leader board. Instead
we blew it for a little bit of pandering, a lot of smoke and mirrors
and mostly a consolidation of value into the hands of a few key
cronies ...all at the expense of the above mention potentials.

Yea, rail on that.  Orocko though, I mean sure he aint Hayek (freddie
or selma) and from what I am seeing he is yet another face on the body
politic that got us in the positions we are in today. One coin two
faces....flip flip flip.

Policy, Reform, etc etc...I think the best we can hope for in
leadership over  the next generation or three is they dont blow us up
or get us overly singed..(bush was volatile in these regards  to say
the least)

AT the very least I think its cool ORocko brings race to the table,
something that has needed addressing after the decades long failure of
leadership in that regard..which in turn opens up people to look at
things like racial stereotypes, the immigration spin going round and
round as well as breaking a ground on yet another thing we can not say
Could Never Happen.

You think the country elects real leadership and not the latest
American Idol....

You think thats air your breathing
in
this
Place?

-tom(so pack up your troubles in your old kit bag and get yer ass
ready fer the Camp Forkalot)higgins