[FoRK] Obama: communitarian, redistributionist, confused? (from NYT)

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Mon Aug 25 18:38:59 PDT 2008

On Aug 25, 2008, at 6:09 PM, geege4 at gmail.com wrote:
> Sheesh. You had an interesting reaction there. Seems you're an
> either-or delimited personality.

Nah, I had already seen that article; repackaged populism for the most
part.

I usually get accused of being something like an "either-or delimited
personality" when I insist that causality applies to all parts of the
system that is human civilization; I view these things as complex
quasi-equilibria, not much room for either-or. There are not that many
configurations for an economy where we do not have a pretty good idea
what happens both in theory and practice, we just like to ignore that
information when it is inconvenient and add epicycles to our preferred
models.

People hate that life and the economy is tradeoffs, but rather than
accepting this as the basis for their decisions, they tend to pretend
the tradeoff does not exist in the hopes that the inevitable will
somehow never materialize.  People say they are willing to make
tradeoffs right up until the point where they see what the tradeoffs
actually are.  Plan B is to  use the force of government to deliver
free cake, provided by their neighbors or grandchildren -- all upside,
no downside.

Cheers,

J. Andrew Rogers