[FoRK] Obama: communitarian, redistributionist, confused? (from NYT)

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Mon Aug 25 21:45:20 PDT 2008

On Aug 25, 2008, at 11:02 PM, Bill Humphries wrote:

> I have no idea if Andrew and/or Bone are really in that top bracket,
> but there are worse fates.

As I've already said about a zillion times, my dislike of Obama has
nothing to do with any impact his particular proposal is going to have
on my own primary streams of income.  The nature and structure of that
income is such that I already pay the top marginal rate for the bulk
of it;  it's not likely to be impacted significantly unless I have
some kind of unexpected and long-term cap gains event.

My concern is, rather, what impact each will have on our precarious
economy at a particularly sensitive time.

I assume from your statement above that you must be in that (those)
top bracket(s).  Otherwise, how magnanimous of you to make that
assessment on behalf of those folks, I'm sure you understand their own
finances better than they do.  :-/  (Fairness runs both ways, folks;
and in our system we *already* delegate most of the burden of paying
for society to the top income earners and wealth holders,
disproportionately in many cases to their social equity.  This has
already been demonstrated several times on the list, so pronouncements
like the above have gone beyond "thin" to "annoying.")

jb