[FoRK] Obama: communitarian, redistributionist, confused? (from NYT)

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue Aug 26 10:30:53 PDT 2008

J. Andrew Rogers wrote:
> On Aug 26, 2008, at 6:30 AM, geege schuman wrote:
>> Sorry - I'm a trickle up kinda person, not a trickle down.  JAR's
>> lamenting
>> the lack of capital NOW, under the current Bush tax cuts.  Something
>> doesn't
>> jibe.
>
> I am not lamenting a lack of capital now, so I do not know how you
> could read it that way. Depending on the type of capital, there is
> quite a bit right now. Venture capital is pretty flush in spite of
> Sarbanes-Oxley poisoning that market a bit, but government policy has
> been slowing that market.  There are probably a couple million jobs in
> the US economy that are only profitable at the current capital gains
> rates, so those would go away; the lower capital gains rates have
> undoubtedly helped dampen the economic impact of Bush's stupid policies.
>
> Considering that somewhere around 5-10 million jobs in the US economy
> are essentially created by private capital investments, what do you
> think will happen if that investment pool shrinks significantly?
> Those jobs are not sustained by magic but by private capital willing
> to take a risk.  Not only that, it will only take a couple years for
> that to manifest.  Do you really want an All Democrat, All The Time
> government when that crap hits the fan with no one to blame but the
> Democrats?  The economy is tenuous enough as it is, no need to
> aggravate the situation by weakening the capital markets.
Raising the capital gains max rate to 20% from what, 15% it is now[1],
while eliminating it altogether for start-up businesses is going to
shrink the investment pool significantly??  That actually sounds like a
great improvement to me.  More reverse economy of scale.  As someone
interested in startups, why wouldn't I buy that rather than the status
quo?  You guys are hand waving about how the Obama proposal is so
horrible, however I don't see you giving enough specifics that back that
up.  Upon first glance, I see exactly the opposite effect is likely:
There would be a flood of investment into startups to get 0% capital
gains taxation, which would still be 15% under McCain.

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxtopics/election_issues_matrix.cfm

[1] It appears that it is 0% or 15% now and with the expiration of the
existing temporary tax cut legislation that it will revert to 8 or 10%
and 18 or 20% in 2010 with no action.
http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/publications/url.cfm?ID=411749

sdw