[FoRK] Capitalism, Contracts and Cronyism

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Tue Aug 26 13:04:00 PDT 2008

On Aug 26, 2008, at 12:51 PM, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:
> It is not a big stretch to suggest that shitty privatization is
> still more efficient than having the government do it themselves.
> Even the crustiest of big old companies was never as bloated and
> inefficient as the Federal government in my experience.  If
> government was competent, companies like Haliburton would have no
> reason to exist and they've thrived for decades.

To expand on this, for all the hate Halliburton gets as part of some
neocon conspiracy, they received the same kinds of no-bid contracts
from the Clinton Administration for Kosovo etc, with the same kinds of
dubious accounting and lost money.  Neither the Democrats nor
Republicans are unique in this regard and Halliburton has been in this
business a long time.

Halliburton's place in the world would be obviated if the government
was competent enough to run their own operations in the first place,
but neither the Clinton nor Bush administration ever saw fit to
address that issue.  You would have to dislodge decades of
institutional cruft and fire thousands of career government employees
for that to happen, so there is no reason to be sanguine. Twenty years
from now, Halliburton will still be doing what Halliburton does,
whether the government is Democrat or Republican.  Just like it always
has.

J. Andrew Rogers