[FoRK] Capitalism, Contracts and Cronyism

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Tue Aug 26 16:25:54 PDT 2008

On Aug 26, 2008, at 6:05 PM, Stephen D. Williams wrote:

> Jeff Bone wrote:

>> Sing it, brother!

>> If and only if there is competition in the privatization.

I will stipulate that privatization which doesn't create competition
is essentially not accomplishing much --- but by the same token
private, government-franchised monopoly may still be more efficient
than public government monopoly.  As James says, that argument isn't a
big stretch at all...

>> But I'll a bold statement, here:  if the choice is between
>> continuation of current policies and effects for another 4-8 years
>> versus a complete meltdown of the economy --- and I'm talking
>> severe, Depression-era style but worse in terms of its long-term
>> impact and the magnitude of its impact on our economy vs. the rest
>> of the world --- I'll unhappily opt for the former.
>
> That thinking is just bizarre to me.

Let's note this for the record.  Stephen prefers a Great Depression to
the period of 2001-2009.

But then, the Great Depression was the heyday of American big-
government liberalism, so perhaps there's a lurking motive there... ;-)

> So far, McCain is filling those [Bush] shoes just a little too
> comfortably.

More than I'd like.

jb