[FoRK] Capitalism, Contracts and Cronyism

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Tue Aug 26 17:32:41 PDT 2008

On Aug 26, 2008, at 7:04 PM, Stephen D. Williams wrote:

>> Let's note this for the record.  Stephen prefers a Great Depression
>> to the period of 2001-2009.
> No, you completely missed my point.  I think it is bizarre how
> certain you are that there will be another Great Depression over the
> relatively meager alarming comments and plans by Obama.

Yes, that would be bizarre.  Unfortunately for your point, it is NOT
the "relatively meager alarming comments and plans by Obama" that
cause me to think this.  Give me some freaking credit, please.  And
remember what I do for a living, hmm?

Let's be specific.  I believe we're facing a double-digit probability
of a 10+ year Great Depression, commencing within the next two years.
My p of X absent other considerations is about 15%.  My p of X does
not go down assuming McCain is president, but it more than doubles
assuming Obama --- to a level of likelihood that *is* indeed alarming
to me.

> This is the enlightened, more subtle level past Objectivism.

Two comments.  (1)  Strawman.  Nobody's arguing objectivism here.
(2)  Rather airy-fairy statement.  Sounds a bit Lion-like. ;-)  Yes,
I've read that book, in fact I think I recommended it.  Take all these
things with a grain of salt.

jb