[FoRK] Capitalism, Contracts and Cronyism

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue Aug 26 23:01:56 PDT 2008

Jeff Bone wrote:

> On Aug 26, 2008, at 7:04 PM, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
>
>>> Let's note this for the record.  Stephen prefers a Great Depression
>>> to the period of 2001-2009.
>> No, you completely missed my point.  I think it is bizarre how
>> certain you are that there will be another Great Depression over the
>> relatively meager alarming comments and plans by Obama.
>
> Yes, that would be bizarre.  Unfortunately for your point, it is NOT
> the "relatively meager alarming comments and plans by Obama" that
> cause me to think this.  Give me some freaking credit, please.  And
> remember what I do for a living, hmm?
Post on FoRK?  Do you get a cut of the ad revenue??  :-)  Does RK owe us
a party or something?
> Let's be specific.  I believe we're facing a double-digit probability
> of a 10+ year Great Depression, commencing within the next two years.
> My p of X absent other considerations is about 15%.  My p of X does
> not go down assuming McCain is president, but it more than doubles
> assuming Obama --- to a level of likelihood that *is* indeed alarming
> to me.
What kind of data sets do you test these theories on?
>> This is the enlightened, more subtle level past Objectivism.
>
> Two comments.  (1)  Strawman.  Nobody's arguing objectivism here.
> (2)  Rather airy-fairy statement.  Sounds a bit Lion-like. ;-)  Yes,
> I've read that book, in fact I think I recommended it.  Take all these
> things with a grain of salt.
1) What's happened in the last 8 years is fairly well documented already
and not a strawman.  That people are stuck in local minima is not much
in debate.  The ideas from the book are based on real studies of real
people, so also not a strawman.  Neither is comparing government to a
corporation.

2) Airy-fairy because I used the world "enlightened"??  I can't use that
word in the generic sense without you interpreting it as new-agey
mystical puffery?  You should know me better than that.  Enlightened in
that sense is: "Objectivism is a good base, but it breaks down here, and
here, and here, and the reasonable solution is X, which may not seem
compatible in a shallow interpretation of the principles."

3) And yes, you recommended the book, Thank You, I Kindled it, and now
I'm reasoning from it's knowledge too, just like y...  err, maybe not
quite like you.  You've read a lot more in this area apparently,
although hopefully not too much Faux propaganda / stretching, so we're
trying to follow the logic you are using.

sdw