[FoRK] Capitalism, Contracts and Cronyism

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Wed Aug 27 12:46:56 PDT 2008

On Aug 27, 2008, at 2:14 PM, Stephen Williams wrote:

> Even with a neural net or other machine learning system, you should
> be able to feed it ranges of inputs to derive approximate formulas
> that explain its behavior.  While that may take a long time to
> iterate through all variables, it is possible.

We've had this conversation before, but you're just not correct about
this, your statement is too broad.  It may be true in certain limited
cases, but it's not true in general.  This is a topic I happen to live
with day to day, so I know whereof I speak on this.

The map is not the territory.  And the mapping between the map and the
territory may be complex enough that it cannot be sensibly expressed
in any finite terms less complicated than the map itself, the
territory, or both.

jb