[FoRK] Capitalism, Contracts and Cronyism

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Aug 27 12:55:41 PDT 2008

Jeff Bone wrote:

> On Aug 27, 2008, at 2:14 PM, Stephen Williams wrote:
>
>> Even with a neural net or other machine learning system, you should
>> be able to feed it ranges of inputs to derive approximate formulas
>> that explain its behavior.  While that may take a long time to
>> iterate through all variables, it is possible.
>
> We've had this conversation before, but you're just not correct about
> this, your statement is too broad.  It may be true in certain limited
> cases, but it's not true in general.  This is a topic I happen to live
> with day to day, so I know whereof I speak on this.
>
> The map is not the territory.  And the mapping between the map and the
> territory may be complex enough that it cannot be sensibly expressed
> in any finite terms less complicated than the map itself, the
> territory, or both.
True.  It may not be.  And finding a mathematical representation of the
full model may be NP-Complete.  Obviously, a neural net trained on the
trajectory of a bouncing ball has an output that can be quantified into
a formula easily.  At least some of what is learned should have similar
meta characteristics, if such exist in the model.

sdw