[FoRK] mozilla ubiquity

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Wed Aug 27 14:19:26 PDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 3:37 PM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:

> On Aug 27, 2008, at 2:25 PM, Luis Villa wrote:
>
>> Natural language-ish web-integrated command line:
>>
>> http://labs.mozilla.com/2008/08/introducing-ubiquity/ (watch the
>> video, it is impressive)

>> http://technorati.com/search/http%3A%2F%2Flabs.mozilla.com%2F2008%2F08%2Fintroducing-ubiquity%2F?sort=authority
>>
>> Thoughts here?
>
> Been tracking it for a bit.  Looks awesome.  Welcome development.  I have
> early implementations of this idea in by browser (Safari) today w/ extensive
> Sogudi short cuts including some Yubnub command params, and I'm a big fan
> and user of Quicksilver, too.  Also been a fan of several attempts to meld
> shell-like interaction and Web browsing previously.
>
> Needs pipes

http://jonoscript.wordpress.com/2008/08/27/plumbing-and-the-magic-word-it/

It seems to me that a major achilles heel of the whole thing is that
people will get really frustrated by the nearly-magical-but-not-really
nature of the language parsing. We'll see how it goes, though.
(Hopefully someone makes it fully functional on Linux soon so I can
play.)

> and a filesystem. ;-)

can't speak to that.

Luis