[FoRK] Capitalism, Contracts and Cronyism

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Wed Aug 27 17:38:47 PDT 2008

On Aug 27, 2008, at 7:35 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:

> On Aug 27, 2008, at 2:55 PM, Stephen Williams wrote:
>
>> Jeff Bone wrote:
>>>
>>> The map is not the territory.  And the mapping between the map and
>>> the territory may be complex enough that it cannot be sensibly
>>> expressed in any finite terms less complicated than the map
>>> itself, the territory, or both.
>> True.  It may not be.  And finding a mathematical representation of
>> the full model may be NP-Complete.
>
> BTW, it's as much an information theoretic problem as an algorithmic
> complexity one.  They're actually two independent things...

Let me restate that.  The information theoretic density of a data set
and the algorithmic complexity of any learning (i.e., compression)
algorithm (particularly the optimum one for any given data set) are in
fact related;  there's some kind of conservation function at work, but
it's unknown by me or anyone else;  Find it and win the Turing, maybe
other prizes.  Chaitin picks at it.  But they are two *different*
things, in some ambiguous sense.

jb