[FoRK] Challenge for McCain critics

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Thu Aug 28 08:53:02 PDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 11:30 AM, Michael Cummins <michael at i-magery.com> wrote:
>> But it is clear that they have brought McCain back to
>> the neocon worldview, and not the other way around.
>
> Honestly curious.  What prompts you to say that?

Extensive list:
http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/flipflops

Some of these flips are exagerrated (or simplified for the sake of
brevity), some are the normal changes that happen to any long-lived
human, and some are in a more centrist direction. So I don't want to
get into a point by point discussion of each of them. (I'm looking at
you, Bone :) But the vast majority are since 2001 and in a more
extreme, rightward position, with no apparent prompting other than
wanting to be more palatable to the right wing of his party.

In 2000, I would have told you that John McCain was a man I frequently
disagreed with, but who I felt was a man of honor and integrity who
reasonable left-leaning moderates could work with in good faith. I
would have voted for him over either Bush or Gore.

The man who casually jokes about bombing Iran, about staying in Iraq
for 100 years, and whose entire economic platform is 'give tax breaks
to the rich and pay for it by borrowing from future generations',
among many other things, is not the man I would have voted for in
2000. Like I said, that man was captured by the far right of his
party, and not the other way around.

Luis