[FoRK] Challenge for McCain critics

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Thu Aug 28 12:30:42 PDT 2008

On Aug 28, 2008, at 1:50 PM, Luis Villa wrote:

> (My responses have been brief and a bit snarky today mostly because
> I'm sick of the back and forth, but also because I'm actually (gasp)
> back in class, so I have Real World Shit to do.)
>
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 2:41 PM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:
>> Really what I meant to say is, it's alarming that the term is
>> becoming more
>> and more meaningless, as it that serves the purposes of a group of
>> very bad
>> folks.
>
> This is an interesting point. Serious, non-snarky question: do you
> think this because if the term loses specificity, it becomes harder to
> name the specific bad guys who the label should apply to, and hence
> harder to highlight and call out their bad behavior? Or some other
> reason?

Mostly that;  and as the term loses specificity / more general
behaviors get termed "neocon-like" it becomes more likely that the
behavior so labeled is more diverse and less clearly universally
objectionable.  E.g.:  in general hawkishness may or may not be
acceptable in any given context, depending on your priors;  but in
general a completely fabricated (much less ineptly delivered) casus
belli is never acceptable.  Knowing participation in the latter in the
Iraq build-up is a key distinguishing factor between neocons and other
political beasts.

jb