[FoRK] Challenge for McCain critics

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Thu Aug 28 12:55:24 PDT 2008

On Aug 28, 2008, at 1:57 PM, geege schuman wrote:

> What are you a member of - the Antagonistic Right?  (If I hear
> "Reactionary
> Left" one more time, why I'll ....)

Don't be so two dimensional.  There's a "reactionary left" just as
there's a "reactionary right."  I happen to dislike both.  I hope I'm
neither.

> McCain talks about the war in football terms of "winning" and
> "defeating."
> Them's hawk words. What exactly we're winning (freedom? democracy?) or
> defeating (evildoers?  threats? terrorism?) is Bushspeak.

I would say that in general his grasp of what it is we're doing over
there is a lot less vague and fuzzy and utopian than Bush's.  He does
need to clearly articulate an exit strategy, though.  The difference
is, I believe McCain might be capable of doing that. ;-)

> What do you call a troop surge?

Working? :-P ;-)

Kidding.  I'd call it a bad idea on top of a pile of dead bodies of
bad ideas.  I'd call it McCain fighting his own, personal last war ---
which he thinks we gave up on, invalidating and dishonoring the (real)
sacrifice that he made.  I think his motivations are completely
different from Bush's, prima facie.  Not sane, but perhaps at least
somehow more forgivable.

jb