[FoRK] Challenge for McCain critics

Michael Cummins michael at i-magery.com
Thu Aug 28 13:12:27 PDT 2008

> This is an interesting point. Serious, non-snarky question: do you
> think this because if the term loses specificity, it becomes harder
> to name the specific bad guys who the label should apply to, and
> hence harder to highlight and call out their bad behavior? Or some
> other reason?

There's something to be said for the other side of the (same damn) coin as
well.  Swift Boat Vets, as an example.  When they came out and challenged
Kerry - as a vet, they got my attention.  When Kerry failed to properly
respond (still, to this day) I gave their accusations a stern measure
credence.

"Swift Boating" has a completely different meaning now. Now it's a slur,
completely disconnected from my original perception of what was going on.

NeoCon is a dirty word now, too, and it hardly resembles what I thought it
originally meant.

Oh well.  I learned I was wrong about that originally, anyway.

It all sort of reminds me of the continually shrinking Orwellian lexicon;
left, right, up, down...  they all seem to want to redefine my ability to
define and communicate ideas.