[FoRK] Challenge for McCain critics

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Thu Aug 28 13:53:49 PDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 2:00 PM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:

> On Aug 28, 2008, at 10:00 AM, Luis Villa wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 10:54 AM, Paul Jimenez <pj at place.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> On one level I do wish McCain
>>> would win because it might help end the dominance of the GOP by the
>>> Bush/neocon hegemonies, in favor of someone more moderate.
>>
>> I wished for that a couple years ago. But it is clear that they have
>> brought McCain back to the neocon worldview,
>
> Nonsense.  The rhetoric is hawkish;  that's about it.  The neocons are a lot
> more than just hawks, and McCain has patently *not* been affiliated with any
> of the core neocon organizations or factions historically.

? You mean, besides his chief foreign policy aide, who coined the
phrase 'rogue state rollback'? And all his buddies from the Weekly
Standard?

>From http://www.tnr.com/politics/story.html?id=220a2dab-3d4b-45e4-9355-b03d44b6b844

"Then, in 1998, during the debates over the Iraq Liberation Act and
intervention in Kosovo, McCain and his chief of staff, Mark Salter,
began working closely with the neoconservatives around The Weekly
Standard and the Project for a New American Century (PNAC), including
William Kristol, Robert Kagan, Marshall Wittmann, Randy Scheunemann,
Gary Schmitt, Max Boot, and Daniel McKivergan. ...

... During the 2000 campaign, McCain drew on Kristol, Kagan,
Scheunemann, and Wittmann for foreign policy advice, and after the
campaign he continued to work closely with them. ...

This year, as McCain tightened his grip on the Republican nomination
for president, he once again called on many of these same
neoconservatives. Scheunemann (who coined the term "rogue state
rollback") is his chief foreign policy aide, traveling with him and
speaking on his behalf; McKivergan serves on his campaign staff;
Wittmann is the press aide for Joe Lieberman, who is almost always at
McCain's side; and Schmitt and Boot are advisers. McCain talks
regularly with Kristol, who is at the center of the neoconservative
network, and he relies heavily on Kagan for his major foreign policy
addresses, including the speeches he delivered at the Hoover
Institution in May 2007 and in Los Angeles this March."

Not mentioned here, John Bolton (a neocon by any definition of the
word) is also a regular McCain advisor.

I guess you can argue that he's not actually a neocon. (We'd disagree,
but it is hard to read what is in the candidate's mind when they
habitually straddle two worlds- I'd end up relying on assuming the
worst about McCain, as you assume the worst about Obama.) But you
certainly can't argue that he's not affiliated with the core neocons-
you can't get much more core neocon than Bill Kristol or John Bolton,
and he's very, very affiliated with them and with their coterie.

Luis

Luis