[FoRK] Challenge for McCain critics

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Thu Aug 28 17:59:00 PDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 8:30 PM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:

>> But you
>> certainly can't argue that he's not affiliated with the core neocons-
>> you can't get much more core neocon than Bill Kristol or John Bolton,
>> and he's very, very affiliated with them and with their coterie.
>
> Sloppy choice of words on my part (while berating others for theirs, tsk tsk
> my bad.)

Ahem. ;)

> By affiliated with, I meant *belongs to the club, drinks the
> kool-aid.*  I.e., Straussian hegemonist.  He may be many things, but he's
> not that;  he may run with them (as any who have performed the roles McCain
> has in the Senate must have, over the last three decades) but they sure as
> shit weren't inviting him to the think-and-drinks prior to his clinching the
> nomination, not unless they needed something from him.

He didn't have to run with them. He explicitly refuted their belief
system for the first decade and a half he was in Congress; as late as
2000 he could have had his pick of any pragmatic realist in DC of
either party to head up his foreign policy operation. McCain was the
maverick, remember? He- more than any person in Congress- had the
credibility on foreign policy to choose whatever route he wanted to
take. And he choose this route. If you want, we can quibble endlessly
about whether or not he drank the duck koolaid, and I'll certainly
agree that he does not have duck genes, but right now he walks like a
duck, quacks like a duck, hires ducks, and hangs out with ducks. He's
a fucking duck.

Luis