[FoRK] Interesting analysis of entrepreneurship and risk

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Thu Aug 28 23:32:51 PDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 09:54:57PM -0500, Jeff Bone wrote:

> In case you missed this, an interesting study:  "THE BURDEN OF THE
> NONDIVERSIFIABLE RISK OF ENTREPRENEURSHIP."
>
>   http://www.nber.org/papers/w14219
>
> In case you needed any additional evidence to suggest that, at least
> apropos "startups", raising the long-term cap gains rate is a bad idea.

Was chatting w/my Financial Advisor the other day, found out that Canada
doesn't even distinguish between long-term and short-term cap gains.
Cap gains are taxed progressively, but at a lower rate than income.

BTW, there's so much action up here, it's nearly impossible to find a
techie to hire.  Lucky it's relatively easy to get visas for skilled
tech workers.  (Desperately seeking Sysadmins and netowork/db coders.)

So, yeah, maybe one *can* have commie unAmerican things like Universal
Health Care or different tax structures, and still have a favourable
climate for business and innovation.

Who'd'a'thunk?
  Aaron