[FoRK] Interesting analysis of entrepreneurship and risk

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Aug 29 00:06:35 PDT 2008

Aaron Burt wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 09:54:57PM -0500, Jeff Bone wrote:
>
>> In case you missed this, an interesting study:  "THE BURDEN OF THE
>> NONDIVERSIFIABLE RISK OF ENTREPRENEURSHIP."
>>
>>   http://www.nber.org/papers/w14219
>>
>> In case you needed any additional evidence to suggest that, at least
>> apropos "startups", raising the long-term cap gains rate is a bad idea.
>>

> Was chatting w/my Financial Advisor the other day, found out that Canada
> doesn't even distinguish between long-term and short-term cap gains.
> Cap gains are taxed progressively, but at a lower rate than income.
>
> BTW, there's so much action up here, it's nearly impossible to find a
> techie to hire.  Lucky it's relatively easy to get visas for skilled
> tech workers.  (Desperately seeking Sysadmins and netowork/db coders.)

Don't tempt me man.  I was just in Whistler in June and I'll be in
Victoria in a few weeks, first time for both.  There might have been
more Australian "kids" working in Whistler than Canadians...
> So, yeah, maybe one *can* have commie unAmerican things like Universal
> Health Care or different tax structures, and still have a favourable
> climate for business and innovation.

I haven't looked into the Canadian budget much, however I believe that
Canada enjoys a very rich mineral income on a per capita basis, which
has to be particularly beneficial right now since quite a bit of oil is
exported to the US.  Saying that universal health care works great in
Saudi Arabia doesn't mean much for the US.  Canada isn't that far on the
spectrum, but the numbers I've seen recently indicate it's probably
better off than the US in GDP/people.  Since that "unearned" mineral/oil
revenue royalties (or whatever) go to the state, it kind of makes sense
to fund healthcare out of the resulting budget as a reasonable way to
pass the benefit onto citizens.