[FoRK] The Rationale

geege schuman geege4 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 07:52:01 PDT 2008

The Dakota Voice

I've been thinking for a long time about who would be a good VP choice for
John McCain. That's a tough one because, since he's not exactly a
conservative's dream himself, you have to throw a measure of pragmatism
(i.e. how conservative a running mate would McCain actually put up with?)
into any estimations.

Some, like columnist<http://www.dakotavoice.com/2008/08/now-thats-ticket-mccain-and-romney.html>Marie
Jon', believe Mitt Romney's the one. Others (maybe McCain himself, for
all I know) have been pushing for a pro-abortion VP--though it looks like
McCain has figured
out<http://www.dakotavoice.com/2008/08/mccain-abandons-pro-abortion-vp.html>such
a choice would pretty much doom his candidacy.

For some time now, I've been thinking of Alaska Governor Sarah Palin. And
though I started writing this yesterday, I see my friend Pastor Steve at Voices
Carry<http://www.voicescarryblog.com/gov-sarah-palin-a-great-choice-for-america/>beat
me to actually getting a South Dakota blogosphere endorsement of her
published.

Though no one is perfect, Palin has an impressive list of assets to bring to
the ticket. We'll find out later today who John McCain actually chooses, but
for now I can hope it's Gov. Palin.

While she doesn't seem to be outspokenly pro-life, her pro-life credentials
nevertheless seem impeccable. In fact, while I've read that up to 70-80% of
Down syndrome babies are being aborted, when Palin and her husband found out
pre-birth that their second son Trig had Down syndrome, she refused to end
his life.

After he was born, she said

"I'm looking at him right now, and I see perfection," Palin said. "Yeah, he
has an extra chromosome. I keep thinking, in our world, what is normal and
what is perfect?"

She is also very pro-energy. Her state of Alaska is home to the Arctic
National Wildlife
Refuge<http://www.dakotavoice.com/2008/07/anwr-picture-is-worth-thousand-words.html>(ANWR),
and she is very much in favor of drilling for oil there. Her husband
Todd works at the current drilling operation on the North Slope, and is a
commercial fisherman during the off-drilling season.

Additionally, Todd's work provides a blue-collar connection that may be
important to some, given that this presidential race is headed on both sides
by millionaires.

She is also very popular in Alaska, with approval ratings running in the 80s
and 90s.

Sarah Palin is very attractive and youthful--attributes which don't really
amount to much with regard to qualifications, but for that segment of voters
out there who are the kind who voted for Jimmy Carter because of the part in
his hair, it could help pick up a few more votes.

Finally, there are a lot of angry and disillusioned female voters who are
spitting-mad that Hillary Clinton didn't get the Democrat nomination *or *the
VP nod. Giving them a competent female to vote for could just bring a McCain
victory by a landslide.

I don't know how interested she would be, but I think the case for a Palin
VP pick is very, very strong. Whether McCain will have enough wisdom to see
that...well, that could be a different matter.

Steven D. Laib at the Intellectual
Conservative<http://www.intellectualconservative.com/2008/08/25/a-case-for-mccain-%e2%80%93-palin/>apparently
concurs that she would be a great choice. I'd encourage you to go
read his piece as well.

In the meantime, we should know in a few hours, as McCain is expected to
announce his choice at an Ohio rally today.
* *

 Posted by Bob Ellis  at 8:30
AM<http://www.dakotavoice.com/2008/08/gov-sarah-palin-mccains-best-choice-for.html>

<http://www.blogger.com/email-post.g?blogID=11556657&postID=6399000847497176093>