[FoRK] Palin: pro-life AND sympathetic to creationism

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Fri Aug 29 14:38:10 PDT 2008

On Aug 29, 2008, at 1:44 PM, Bill Humphries wrote:

> On Aug 29, 2008, at 11:32 AM, Jeff Bone wrote:
>
>> I see nothing in Palin's brief -- or the above -- that's
>> particularly worrisome.
>
> Then further discussion of the matter is worthless, Bone.
>
> If you don't or are unwilling to understand the implications, then
> just drop it.

Look, I don't like the social conservative aspects of things any
better than anyone else on this list, more than likely;  and certainly
my own railing about religion and social conservatives and the danger
posed by both should establish my position on that.  OTOH, there's
nothing in the record to indicate that she legislates her belief;
indeed the contrary with the benefits for S.O.s of gay state
employees, and the indeed nuanced statement re: ID that Russell wants
to use to prove that she's a rabid evangelical but which in fact
probably represents a pretty middle-of-the-road and atypically open-
minded position.

Faced with anything other than a trifecta from hell, neither person on
the GOP ticket would have my vote.  I'm merely pointing out that it
(a) is a very wise choice politically, and (b) probably couldn't get
any better than that.  The black sheep of the GOP and an actual
reformer.

If you don't think this makes the election --- which prior to today
I'd been assuming was a foregone conclusion --- a real contest, well,
I'd say that you don't (or are unwilling to) understand the
implications of this pick, Bill et. al.

jb