[FoRK] Palin: pro-life AND sympathetic to creationism

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Fri Aug 29 15:50:42 PDT 2008

On Aug 29, 2008, at 5:19 PM, geege schuman wrote:

> Back to the direct quote from Palin: "I'm pro-life. I'll do all I
> can to see
> every baby is created with a future and potential." (I love that she
> sees
> herself as empowered to do such.) "The *legislature* should do all
> it can to
> protect human life."

You'll note that since Roe v. Wade we've had almost 6x as many days
under a Republican -- most of whom expressed similar sentiments -- and
yet the law stands;  you'll also note that even among Roe opponents,
many are opposed to the law itself as the basis of the protection it
supposedly provides, rather than the protection itself.

I'll grant that Palin is more ardent than most, but I'll also note
that McCain was getting clear signals from that faction of the unholy
alliance that is the GOP that if he didn't pick at least a surface pro-
lifer, they were splitting.  I've never been entirely comfortable w/
the coalition of libertarian and social conservative, but this pick
may well preserve that "strange bedfellows" alliance at least a bit
longer.

jb