[FoRK] Challenge for McCain critics

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Fri Aug 29 22:29:21 PDT 2008

On Aug 29, 2008, at 8:33 PM, Paul Jimenez wrote:

> Jeff Bone wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 28, 2008, at 7:59 PM, Luis Villa wrote:
>>> as late as
>>> 2000 he could have had his pick of any pragmatic realist in DC of
>>> either party to head up his foreign policy operation. McCain was the
>>> maverick, remember? He- more than any person in Congress- had the
>>> credibility on foreign policy to choose whatever route he wanted to
>>> take. And he choose this route.
>>
>> I will admit that this is a mystery to me.  I feel that he has come
>> to believe that he cannot take the office --- will not be allowed
>> to by the cabal that controls the GOP  --- unless he gives lip
>> service various party lines.
>
> This is the scenario I tried to articulate - that he won't be
> allowed to take office by the GOP unless he adheres to the party
> line enough that he's not different enough from Bush on the big
> issues of the war and economy to matter.

Once he takes office it hardly matters.  There's winning the election,
then governing.  And in neither of our lifetimes has the correlation
between those things been particularly strong for any national elected
official.

> I'm more sanguine about the Obama having good advisors to keep any
> of the possible super-marxist ideas he has in check.  If you're
> allowed to think McCain will buck his GOP-party-line advisors when
> in office, I'm allowed to think that Obama will pay attention to his.

It's not a matter of being allowed;  it's a matter of likelihood and
eventual reality.  We'll see how it pans out.  Or have you opted out
of the "reality-based community" now, too?

jb