[FoRK] Challenge for McCain critics

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Fri Aug 29 22:40:33 PDT 2008

On Aug 29, 2008, at 9:40 PM, Owen Byrne wrote:

> This email brings up the fundamental problem of voting Republican,
> i.e. that its basically equivalent to voting, if not for Adolf
> Hitler, at least for Il Duce.

Now we have completely left the tracks.

> Adhering to party line and economic arguments while accepting
> torture and mass-murder,

The latter are unacceptable.  Period.

But then, so is stealing somebody's property to give it to someone
else.  Or, as Obama likes to call it, "economic fairness."  A certain
amount may be endured as a practical matter.  Perhaps even more than
now.  But the idea that this is *righteous* is objectionable to me.

But that's not the issue;  the issue is solely the irresponsibility of
handing unchecked power to ANY party.  I disliked the GOP trifecta
that we endured for the first 6 years of Bush II *just as much* ---
indeed, perhaps more --- than I abhor the idea of the likely trifecta
we're facing now.  Quite publicly, on this list, I hope there's no
question about that.  The lesson we should have learned --- but seem
to have failed to learn collectively, at least those on the Obama side
of the fence, is that *this is a bad idea under any circumstances.*
Our founding documents give us the ultimate power to prevent this;
but if we choose not to use the tools, we have only ourselves to blame
for the consequences:  both the Bush years *and* any forthcoming
overcorrection.

$0.02,

jb