[FoRK] it's a trap

Joseph S. Barrera III joe-ml at barrera.org
Sat Aug 30 09:53:39 PDT 2008

I thought this article pretty much got it right.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/brown/1136747,CST-NWS-brown31.article

Obama & Co. must take high road on Palin
Let others question experience, keep focus on McCain, Bush

BY MARK BROWN Sun-Times Columnist

Leave her alone. Let it go. Don't even think about going there. It's a
setup. It's a trap.

I wanted to shout that advice to the Barack Obama campaign Friday, but
somebody on the television was telling me it was already too late:
Obama's people had reacted initially to the news of Alaska Gov. Sarah
Palin's candidacy for vice president by belittling her credentials.

For Pete's sake, there's no reason to do that. Let it happen on its own.
Let the media do the dirty work. Heck, some of her fellow Republicans
will do the job.

Treat her with respect. Pretend that you're above it all. At worst, say
you're like everybody else and don't know anything about her.

Don't even bother with the opposition research. Any swimsuit photos from
the 1984 Miss Alaska pageant will come out on their own.

If and when they do, please feign disinterest.

Thank goodness they hadn't said anything dismissive on camera before
reconsidering the strategy in time for Obama's first public statement,
which was cautiously restrained.

Sure, John McCain's selection of Palin as his running mate is such a
calculated, cynical ploy to win Hillary Clinton's voters that it
seemingly shouldn't succeed.

But the best way to allow it to succeed is to treat Clinton's voters
like they can't figure it out on their own.

[...]