[FoRK] Wikis and other tools at work

Dave Long dave.long at bluewin.ch
Sat Aug 30 15:34:13 PDT 2008

> To tie this back to FoRK, the main thing we are missing is a Wiki
> where we publish the salient points and conclusions of key threads,
> and maybe another area to capture interesting things of various
> kinds.  It would take work to reduce discussions to a Wikipedia-
> like statement of points of view and consensus, but it would make
> reading the result later much more valuable and likely.  Doing this
> in a company setting is much easier since there are fewer cases of
> major contention usually.

well, it hasn't quite been another 2.5 years yet, but:

"[FoRK] Versioned Literate Aspect-Oriented Programming"
http://www.xent.com/pipermail/fork/Week-of-Mon-20060925/042989.html

was a sketch originally intended to support such schemes — most
thread discussion text would be forgotten in the wiki view, but
marked points of view could be gathered together, or everything but
most recent proposed/agreed consensus points trimmed, in order to
give a "debate flow"-like overview.  One could alternately fold-up a
thread to see what points had been agreed and where contention
remained, or unfold a current consensus to see the evidence and
reasoning which produced it.*

oddly enough, it did eventually wind up mashed together with a (n
equally spartan) wiki system:

http://en.literateprograms.org/Literate_programming_wiki_%28sh%29

-Dave

:: :: ::