[FoRK] Challenge for McCain critics

Paul Jimenez pj at place.org
Sat Aug 30 21:31:42 PDT 2008

Jeff Bone wrote:

> On Aug 29, 2008, at 8:33 PM, Paul Jimenez wrote:
>
>> Jeff Bone wrote:

>>> I will admit that this is a mystery to me.  I feel that he has come
>>> to believe that he cannot take the office --- will not be allowed to
>>> by the cabal that controls the GOP  --- unless he gives lip service
>>> various party lines.
>>
>> This is the scenario I tried to articulate - that he won't be allowed
>> to take office by the GOP unless he adheres to the party line enough
>> that he's not different enough from Bush on the big issues of the war
>> and economy to matter.
>
> Once he takes office it hardly matters.  There's winning the election,
> then governing.  And in neither of our lifetimes has the correlation
> between those things been particularly strong for any national elected
> official.

You think he can get into the White House without the GOP having any
strings left on him to pull?  Really?

>> I'm more sanguine about the Obama having good advisors to keep any of
>> the possible super-marxist ideas he has in check.  If you're allowed
>> to think McCain will buck his GOP-party-line advisors when in office,
>> I'm allowed to think that Obama will pay attention to his.
>
> It's not a matter of being allowed;  it's a matter of likelihood and
> eventual reality.  We'll see how it pans out.  Or have you opted out
> of the "reality-based community" now, too?

Oh, I'm all too aware that we collectively will have to live with the
outcomes of choices that even smart, well-informed people disagree
about.  As I said a bit earlier, I take great solace in the fact that
"this too shall pass".

  ---pj