[FoRK] A choice of nightmares

Russell Turpin russell.turpin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 11:55:29 PDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 1:31 PM, geege schuman <geege4 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Deep down, we blues know we're not in danger of losing ground on
> Row v Wade, because we know that most politicians, even the ones
> supported by reds, don't want to see it happen. That was proven to us
> during the six years of republican dominance.

I disagree. The six years of Republican dominance show that they are
working towards that goal. Alito, certainly, and Roberts, likely, are
just the kind of justices desired by those who would overturn Roe v.
Wade. It will take only one more like the sitting four conservatives to
bring that about. I don't doubt that there are Republicans who prefer to
have Roe v. Wade as a cause celebre that guarantees the wingnut  vote.
But the True Believers want to achieve that cause. And Palin is a True
Believer.

> So you don't mind that McCain doesn't show much of an interest in
> developing alternate energy sources...

And how did you get this from my post?

> Russell, don't be a schlub. There won't be any worst case scenarios,
> and I know you know it.

Eight years past, I would have laughed at the notion that the US would
have a president who instituted a policy of torture, that that would be
openly defended by the social conservatives, and that the opposition
Congress would stand by like stoned toads. In my view, the last few
years have been the most policially ugly and surreal time since Nixon's
second term. Not a worst case scenario. But the kind that expands the
imagination about how much bad is likely. McCain, in my view, is not
nearly so bad as Bush. Palin, on the other hand, could be a more
ideological and less competent Bush. And McCain is old.