[FoRK] A choice of nightmares

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Sun Aug 31 14:00:19 PDT 2008

On Aug 31, 2008, at 1:20 PM, geege4 at gmail.com wrote:
> Tax incentives for oil disincentify investment and subsequently/more
> importantly USE of alternatives

Who is talking about tax incentives for oil?  Lack of tax incentives
is not the blocking issue for oil and gas development.  The blocking
issues are resource access and to a lesser extent drill rig capacity,
investment in the latter being slowed by the lack of the former.
Billions of dollars in private (and public) capital is going to
alternative energy as it is, so there is no pressing need to subsidize
that either.  None of this is inherently mutually exclusive, and
treating it as such turns it into a partisan political football that
generates much heat and hinders actual progress.

I frequently get the impression that there are many people who think
the alternative energy baby can be pushed out in 3 months instead of 9
months if we just throw enough money and people at the issue.  I see
no evidence of this.  Most of the energy hurdles involve technology,
which is well-funded but happens at its own pace, or political and
legislative red tape, which has been a serious limiting factor for
decades and has not been addressed by either Democrat or Republican
administrations.

Cheers,

J. Andrew Rogers