[FoRK] A choice of nightmares

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Sun Aug 31 22:59:15 PDT 2008

On Aug 31, 2008, at 8:48 PM, Rob Harley wrote:

> *> > [...] However, an article in today's New **York Times
>>> [...]** points out that since 1948, income growth has actually been
> *>* > higher under Democratic presidents.
>> * That article was an impressive spectacle of cherry-picking data,
>> spurious causality, and tenuous correlation. Well done!
>
> You didn't like the message, so shoot messenger, foot and bystanders?

Well, if the message is patently stupid...

I'm not sure why someone would be hyper-sensitive to someone pointing
out weak-ass propaganda unless they had already inured themselves to
the Kool-Aid.  The problems with the US economy are myriad, but leg-
humping ideologically pleasing pablum is not the path to a viable
solution.  It is a very rare day that legitimate economics makes its
way into the political and media sphere, and this was a particularly
ludicrous non-exception.

It is embarrassing for the human race that anyone thinks either the
left or the right is providing legitimate answers in the face of ample
contrary evidence.  This is not a religion and I am not seeking TRVTH,
though maybe you have a different view of the world.  I have better
things to do than pick teams when a couple economics retards fight in
a Metal Cage Death Match, but apparently picking teams is more
important than actual results for a lot of people.

Let me be plain: there are no legitimate economics wonks in the
current political race.  The candidates of both parties are the
economic equivalents of creationists, and we should be laughing them
for the jackasses that they are.  That there are Americans that think
these economics policies are clever and make attempts to defend them
scares me for the same reasons fundie retards do, and such people
should be let nowhere near the levers of power in a sane world.  If
that is "shooting the messenger", then so be it.

Cheers,

J. Andrew Rogers