[FoRK] google browser : "chrome"

Lucas Gonze lucas.gonze at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 12:41:47 PDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 10:48 AM, Tom Higgins <tomhiggins at gmail.com> wrote:
> Google may have its faults and such, but that it gives a space for
> things like this to be pondered I give them the thumbs up.

I really like the originality of their design.  It's good that they're
injecting creative energy.  And a lot of their ideas are worthwhile on
the merits.

I don't like that they'll be siphoning off revenues from real
businesses in the space - Firefox and Opera.  This is a toy project as
far as Google is concerned, and if it gets too big it'll just be a
burden.  It doesn't need to earn money, so it will sabotage Opera's
and Firefox's revenue streams. And if I'm wrong that this is a toy
project, and it's for real, then I don't see how it makes any more
business sense for Google to own this browser than for AOL to own the
Netscape browser.  And of course there's the ugly possibility of
Google giving their sites preference in the same way that Microsoft
does.