[FoRK] google browser : "chrome"

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Tue Sep 2 13:39:00 PDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 4:29 PM, Tom Higgins <tomhiggins at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 12:41 PM, Lucas Gonze <lucas.gonze at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't like that they'll be siphoning off revenues from real
>> businesses in the space - Firefox and Opera.  This is a toy project as
>> far as Google is concerned, and if it gets too big it'll just be a
>> burden.
>
> If I am reading the comix  correctly, one of the big pluses to come
> out of this is the V8 engine which can be used by any browser, not
> just burningChrome.

Mozilla's js library is also library-ized, and is applying some of the
same straight-to-the-bare-metal optimizations. Obviously we'll see
what happens with the benchmarks; should be interesting. I do detect
more than a whiff of NIH in this whole project.

> -tom(best case scenario in my dream world is IE folds and dies the
> death it deserves..I had to use it last week for the first time in
> months (someone else machine having  issues) and man oh man if you
> ever need to feel good about FF or Opera go use IE)higgins

Ugh. +1. Worst part about having to work in a real law firm will be
using IE and Outlook.

Luis