[FoRK] FactCheck.org: Sliming Palin

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Thu Sep 11 12:29:10 PDT 2008

On Sep 10, 2008, at 6:17 PM, Stephen Williams wrote:
> Thank * for the Internet.  And thank *' for pretty much preventing
> censorship effectiveness in any reasonable net connection outside of
> China.  And the money that the porn / film / video game industry has
> pulled in has probably made that cat way too large to ever put back
> into a bag again.  And if that cat can't be herded, it's likely that
> little else will be.  Beyond possibly-useful-to-terrorists
> scientific information, which is a shame but probably pretty limited
> and mostly futile.  Although chemistry sets or some suitable
> replacement seriously needs to make a comeback.
>
> We'll have to fight this stuff all over again in the nano-assembler
> and pocket drug/DNA/virus assembler ages.  Now those will be
> interesting times.

The internet *has* made a massive dent in both political and cultural
censorship.  It represents a golden age of free and virtually
uncontrollable dissemination of information.

Unfortunately, it did not take long for the soft censorship of
pervasive prior restraint, legal and regulatory overload, and a
pathological cultural obsession with turning the world into a padded
rubber cell to roll back a significant portion of the benefits we
should be enjoying from the Internet.

I have to wonder if the fact that information was much harder to come
by when I was a kid was not offset in large part by the fact that we
were allowed to do and essentially get away with far more back then.

Cheers,

J. Andrew Rogers