[FoRK] FactCheck.org: Sliming Palin

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Thu Sep 11 22:11:36 PDT 2008

On Sep 11, 2008, at 5:16 PM, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
> With rampant anti-intellectualism, obviously championed by the
> Republicans and too many religious groups that should know better,
> this has dented a lot of the refining mechanisms that, for better or
> worse, seemed to have filtered in the past.

I will have to vehemently disagree with this insofar as you ignore the
*gross* anti-intellectualism on the left.  This is not a "left versus
right" argument, because both sides have chained themselves to
positions that are deeply flawed by any rational analysis of reality.
Both sides choose to ignore those parts of science and mathematics
that they find to be ideologically inconvenient, and I reject those
positions equally no matter what quarter they come from.  For every
economically illiterate and New Age medicine loving retard on the
left, there is an atheist scientist on the right -- the caricatures do
not capture the spectrum.

It is not surprising that the Enlightenment is dying, it is a bloody
miracle it occurred in the first place. The Democrats do as much
violence to the Enlightenment ideals as the religious right.  The
reason I have no party affiliation is that I *do* subscribe to the
Enlightenment, and those are not ideals well represented in popular
politics, either in the US or abroad.

> Anti-intellectualism must be attacked in all of its forms.  The fact
> that no one seems to have the guts to do this is probably evidence
> of a meta-anti-intellectualism about the whole subject.  It is fine
> to bash people who have tried hard and come up with the wrong
> conclusion.  The honestly wrong.  Those that know nothing, only
> listen to people of the same polarity, and reflexively repudiate
> their opposites are not in any sense right, justifiable, or honestly
> wrong.  They are deliberately dim, dumb, and duplicitous.  Willfully
> ignorant.

+1

I have no truck with anti-intellectualism, but you will find very few
people in this world who think they are anti-intellectual.  Indeed,
they will tell you that their a-scientific and a-mathematical insights
are intellectual and will have all manner of specious reasoning to
support that assertion.

> This also goes for pseudo-intellectualism.  The religious
> universities that may or may not be teaching mostly crap seem to be
> polluting the ranks.  The fact that so many republican appointees
> came from this group is a bad trend.

How is this any different than the pseudo-intellectual nonsense that
is polluting the ideologically left-wing universities?  I categorize
people who pretend like thermodynamics and economics (which are
theoretically related) do not apply to their "social justice" reality
as those people who think the earth is 6,000 years old.  There is
enough willful ignorance that should be shunned by all intelligent
folk to go around.  It is not a political party phenomenon, it is a
human phenomenon.

Puh-lease.  The left-wing likes to pretend their brain-damaged anti-
intellectualism is more pure than that of the right-wing anti-
intellectualism, but from way out here it stinks just as bad.  Obama
is every bit the delusional ignorant as whoever the right wing is
thrusting forth.

I focus a lot less on the "left" or "right" part than on the
"delusional" part.  Sadly, my "delusional meter" does not have a
setting high enough to make a material distinction between the
candidates.

Cheers,

J. Andrew Rogers