[FoRK] FactCheck.org: Sliming Palin

paul paul at remsset.com
Fri Sep 12 15:46:46 PDT 2008

Kevin Elliott said the following on 9/12/2008 4:49 PM:
<snip>

> Look at the entire quote:
>
> "“Pray for our military. He [Palin's son] is going to be deployed in
> September to Iraq – pray for our military men and women who are striving
> to do what is right for this country – that our leaders, our national
> leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God, that’s what he
> have to make sure we are praying for, that there is a plan and that it
> is God’s plan.”
>
> http://www.antiwar.com/blog/2008/09/02/palin-our-leaders-are-sending-our-troops-to-iraq-on-a-task-from-god/
>

> Frankly, it sounds to me like a mother praying her sons going to be ok,
> and that the people in charge are making the right decisions.  Turning
> it into some statement about how she feels about the war is just nuts.

The whole "task from God" thing is the problem.

For sure, pray for the safety of the troops if praying for stuff is your
bag.  But the whole "national leaders are sending them out on a task
that is from God" is a steaming pile of bovine excrement.  Full stop,
end of telegram.

The way I see it, God is God and He does whatever He wants.  Assuming
there IS a god.  He sure ain't sending us to go kill some arabs.
Because otherwise he ain't God.  Omnipotence, and all that jive....

paul