[FoRK] Palin

Damien Morton dmorton at bitfurnace.com
Sun Sep 14 03:09:26 PDT 2008

On 9/14/2008 2:00 AM, Tom Higgins wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 10:33 PM, Damien Morton
> <dmorton at bitfurnace.com <mailto:dmorton at bitfurnace.com>> wrote:
>
>     I began thinking about this, both wondering how realistic a goal
>     this is for a bunch of Afghan cave dwellers and assorted camel
>     jockeys, or for anyone for that matter.
>

> You have to admit though, if you were such a person and watched post
> 9/11 America set up the TSA, DoHS, Gitmo, the torture memos, sweeping
> theocraticism, a prolonged and costly war on terror that is working
> out as well as the war on drugs...in that cave you might just smile a
> little.
>
> I do not think it is so much about Destroying America, its making
> America Destroy Itself..slowly...piece by piece,  freedom by freedom.
>
> Japan's transformation took it from feudalism/imperalism to what it
> has now.. Germany was blwon from facism to what it is now... and
> American is being sent from democracy to what we are becoming.
>
> Just a thought.
>
> -tom(does that cave get dsl?)higgins

Actually, though, as they review the post 9/11 history of America, there
may be some smiling cave dwellers, but I dont think the lurch to an
authoritarian theocratic and militaristic state was the goal.

I think the goal was to ensure America pays a price for how violently
active it has been in the region in the last 50 years, with the idea of
making it less so, by driving it to military over-extension and exhaustion.

This is the problem with the Destroy America meme - its such a gross
simplification and stimulates such a gross overreaction - it destroys
thought. Not even the Japanese sought to Destroy America - though any
careful evaluation of Japanese strategic goals is wiped out by the Pearl
Harbour treachery meme, along with any examination of the decade long
economic warfare that goaded the Japs into action.

So here is an excersise for the reader... though the unconditional
surrender and/or destruction of its enemies has traditionally been the
goal of the United States, if one were to imagine for a moment a peace
treaty with the Islamic extremists, what might the first draft submitted
by them look like.