[FoRK] huntin' and fishin' and weldin' and fornicatin'

Reza B'Far reza at voicegenesis.com
Sun Sep 14 18:37:08 PDT 2008

While agreed, I think my point was that, at least from my perspective, the
"fear mongering" was more "sophisticated" if such a thing can be said.  The
notion of Evil vs. good seemed to be at more of an abstract level
(governments, etc.) than cultural and people level.  I'm too young to talk
about the cold war, but the general notion I have from that era is that we
assumed that the "people" of the communist countries were not inherently
evil and that the problem was in the "super-structure" (whether this is even
sensical is questionable, but that's a different discussion).  I think that
is the major change I see now.  The good vs. evil talk is centered around
religion...not around the merits of capitalism vs. theocracies of the
middle-east, etc.... This is where I personally see the tone changing from
the early 60's to now.  I see the discussions around capitalism vs.
communism at a higher intellectual level than "my God vs. your God"