[FoRK] The Debate's ON for Tomorrow Night, Right?

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Thu Sep 25 21:26:22 PDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 12:17 AM, Gordon Mohr <gojomo at boxbe.com> wrote:
> Luis Villa wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 8:53 PM, Gordon Mohr <gojomo at boxbe.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> "You can't make this stuff up..."
>>>
>>> Except, in this case, someone did. Because Ambinder essentially corrects
>>> the
>>> item you quote with a new entry clarifying (based on multiple Dem and GOP
>>> sources) that McCain did not himself raise any of these new proposals.
>>> See:
>>>

>>> http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/09/mccain_kept_head_down_in_meeti.php
>>

>> "McCain has not attacked the Paulson deal," said a third Republican
>> ***who was briefed by McCain direclty.*** "Unlike the [Democrats] in
>> the [White House] meeting, he didn't raise his voice or cause a
>> ruckus. He is urging all sides to come together."
>>
>> ***emphasis mine***
>>
>> Sorry, if you're getting briefed by the candidate yourself, you're not
>> a reliable source.
>
> Um, that's some pretty selective quoting by you. Are you trying to create
> the false impression that the second Ambinder post depended on only partisan
> sources?

No, that was not the intent, sorry if that is how it came across, just
to criticize that one point.

(That said, I do think that Ambinder, like most of the MSM, makes
waaaaaay too much of anonymous sources and is very susceptible to
spin, so I take everything he writes (including this) with a big grain
of salt. But he's a 'reported' blog. I guess he's *supposed* to suck
in all the ways the MSM sucks.)

Luis