[FoRK] Career Moves

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Oct 9 19:53:27 PDT 2008

As it happens, I'm looking for a job shortly.  I glanced at the
beginning of the year when I moved to Mountain View, but now it's a
reality.  By about the end of the year, roughly coinciding with
Armageddon by some accounts, I'll be on to something new and exciting.

For the first time in 7 years.  You know, the last time the economy
tanked (IT in particular that time) and I was at the end of a contract
(300 hours / month!!) with a client who didn't pay me the last $82K.
There's a slim chance I'll work something out to continue roughly in the
situation I'm in, but less than even chance I suspect.  (Company has no
other contracts in this area, unless I create one, under tight constraints.)

So keep those suggestions / invitations coming.

Career decisions are potentially complex.  When you think of others,
it's easy to think "get any job".  When it's for yourself, especially
when you throw yourself into full support of a company and you are
investing all of your opportunity potential, there is a lot to think
about.  However, as I already have my on-my-own-time project for taking
over the world eventually, I'm somewhat less critical of day job choices
and more opportunistic.

So ask while I'm easy.

Or I could move to Honolulu, do taxes and accounting for a living, and
be in the ocean, hiking the mountains, or flying between islands every
day.  Some days, it's tempting.

sdw