[FoRK] Government Report: Evidence of H-1B Visa Fraud

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Tue Oct 14 11:40:37 PDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 07:08:38PM +0100, me said:
> This is a matter quite close to my own heart since I'm one of those
> filthy foreigners over here in ur country takin ur jobs. Oh nooooess.

[ snip rantage ]

Thinking about it - I suppose I'm also sort of pissed off as well that
it's so relatively easy for Americans to come work in the UK but that
the reverse is not true.

Like it or not Silicon Valley is pretty much Mecca for programmers -
it's the epicenter of a lot that's going on. Sure there's Seattle and
Boston and wherever and there's plenty of good work going on in London
and other places but by and large, especially within a certain field, if
you want to be in the thick of it then the Bay Area is where it's at.

Yes the social software weenies are cocooned in a self-referential,
echo-chamber but underneath the circle jerking and mutual back slapping
there's some interesting stuff going on and if you have your interesting
little start up and you want to get some VC (ok, maybe not *right* now)
then being here is a huge advantage.

So stopping people coming here feels a little like unfair protectionism
but that could just be sour grapes on my part.