[FoRK] Government Report: Evidence of H-1B Visa Fraud

damien morton dmorton at bitfurnace.com
Tue Oct 14 21:41:59 PDT 2008

Ive had a J1 visa, an H1B visa and a Green Card.
The J1 was the easiest, but then lawyers took care of it.

The H1B took 18 months to get - no interview required.

The Green Card was a bit more difficult, and involved submitting a 3 inch
thick packet of forms with 4 or 5 separate cheques attached, a wait of 2
years (during which I wasn't allowed to leave the US), queuing overnight to
get into the Manhattan office to find out my case file number, and ending
with a relatively polite interview with an ex-military interrogator.

The interview was the most interesting bit - he opened with the question
"who is Abdul Al-Ahrami?" (this was about 18 months after 9/11). After
repeated questioning along this line, including asking why Adbul's file was
in my file, he eventually threw Abdul's file in the bin saying it must have
been a mistake. Im guessing this approach was his way of flushing out any
guilt you may be carrying. Meanwhile, in the interview room next door, the
interviewer was screaming "shut up! you know you're not supposed to speak
unless you're spoke to!" at an asian couple also being interviewed.
Eventually he ferrets out that my wife's father was a military man, and
things begin to settle down. Compare house keys, compare cellphones, bank
accounts, tax records, etc etc. And were done.

Contrast with my wife's residency application for Australia: fill in
application forms online, save, resume, submit. Get a package in the mail
about 2 weeks later, containing a case file number, the phone number of our
case officer, an addressed envelope to submit notarized copies of documents,
and a tentative interview date. The application was approved without an
interview within 2 months.

The solution to the H1B problem is to make the H1B visa belong to the
applicant rather than the employers - make it a skilled migration program,
which allows employment mobility. No more slaves.

Mind you, Manhattan, in finance, there were very few American programmers -
most were from somewhere else. Ive been in meetings with 10 different people
from 10 different countries, and thats largely the norm. Where there were
Americans they tended to live in the middle and upper management roles.

No idea what the H1B programmers were being paid.