[FoRK] Is it Google, SEO or something else?

Reese howell.r at inkworkswell.com
Fri Oct 17 11:40:32 PDT 2008

I'm still testing on different platforms and with different web
browsers but these are the early testing results - something
isn't right.

I'm testing a search string in Google. Full names of two authors
of an article recently published online - at a political Web site.

Win2K/FF2: The client site is the #1 hit.
Win2k/IE6: The client site is the #1 hit.
WinXP/FF3: The client site doesn't appear to be indexed.
WinXP/IE7: The client site doesn't appear to be indexed.
WinXP/Chrome: ditto
WinXP/Opera 9.52: ditto
Ubuntu 6.06/FF1.5: ditto
Safari/3.0.4: ditto

All searches performed in the span of about 10 minutes elapsed,
from the Google home page, dumping cookies and killing session
data between tests.

It isn't a different data centers issue either, other search strings
that target articles from January and February get identical results.

What is going on? Why is the client site ranked so high when searches
are performed from the Win2K platform, so poorly on all others? It
doesn't feel like an SEO issue to me, else the site content would not
be well-ranked on Win2K either. Does anyone have any ideas?

Reese