[FoRK] Is it Google, SEO or something else?

Reese howell.r at inkworkswell.com
Sun Oct 19 12:44:11 PDT 2008

Jeffrey Winter wrote:
>> All listed tests except the Mac were NAT behind my router, they
>> show as the same IP to that end. Two friends have tested from
>> two other locations and received the same results, so that makes
>> three IPs, different class As. Still, Win2K machines seem to be
>> the odd men out so Adam's comments aside, what's really going on?
>
> Try using the Firefox Add-on "User Agent Switcher" :

> If you suspect the server-side (Google) to be doing something odd
> based on what OS/Browser combo you are hitting it with, this should
> reveal it.

I haven't installed that yet, but I will. Thursday night and Friday
morning I was seeing results as described earlier, by Friday night
FF3 and IE7 on XP were getting results similar to what I was seeing
on the Win2K machines. So it seems very likely that it was oddities
caused by incrementally rolling out the new index Gordon mentioned.

Thanks one all all for the suggestions and insights,

Reese