[FoRK] Welcome Back Kotter

geege schuman geege4 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 10:07:45 PST 2008

> Adam L Beberg wrote:

>> And how about that chief of staff... It's comforting to see the bankers
>> will still have an iron grip on our government and wallets, so we don't have
>> to worry about any of this nasty change talk.
>>
>> It's good to see him bringing in the same old insiders, I was really
>> worried he'd be increasing our taxes, but now I can relax.
>>
> Pretty shrewd isn't it?  Feisty bad cop, Jewish / Israeli pleasing choice
> who can apparently take whatever someone (Republicans?) dish out.  And,
> funny, I haven't heard any more of those worries about him being Muslim
> (i.e. a Muslim mole or something).  Go Rahm-bo...  The guy looks
> uncomfortable to me, but I guess we'll see.

I think insiders see him as someone who can contain Pelosi:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24617888-5013948,00.html

[...]What Graham sees in Emanuel and where some of his Republican colleagues
have missed the point is Obama's first priority is to try to keep the
Democratic Party in line in Congress. The pent-up demand for a new, more
progressive legislative agenda following eight years of the Bush
administration is palpable. Emanuel, campaign aides say, is to help keep
those forces in check. It is this moderate, centrist style of governing that
Obama wants to establish in the first term to win the support of those who
did not vote for him on Tuesday.