[FoRK] Plow, Baby, Plow

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Nov 13 21:36:25 PST 2008

Joe Barrera wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 5:07 PM, geege schuman <geege4 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> JB, how did you ever take this woman seriously?
>>

> I think the technique is something like:
>
> 1. Lots of people have noticed that she is ignorant and unqualified
> 2. Therefore it is a MEME that she is ignorant and unqualified

That something is a "meme" simply means that it is an idea that
survives, competes, and replicates.
I suppose JB was alluding to the fact that, like genes, it isn't that
something is good or right that determines whether it thrives, only if
it's competitive.  Dawkins might point out that religion is a perfect
example.

So, "meme" is simply an "idea" that may or may not be fact.  The fact
that you can identify it as a separable concept and that it is widely
recognized doesn't automatically mean that it is an urban myth or some
other kind of misconception.

So, we're talking here about a new meme (not MEME, it's not an acronym)
which is the same as: "new idea".
> 3. Clever people pay no attention to MEMEs

Arguing with someone who might be taking this logic path:
Clever people pay no attention to new ideas?  Really?  Perhaps you mean
something like "mythical meme"?  Except it's not a myth if it's true, is it?
> 4. Therefore it is of no concern that she is ignorant and unqualified

Certainly seems like muddled thinking to me.

sdw